Help Your Loved Ones Stay Healthy
Random Acts of Fitness, Nutrition and Health
-- By Mike Kramer, Staff Writer
If you’re not comfortable with talking to loved ones about the touchy subjects of health and weight loss, you can still help them lead healthier lives by practicing “random acts of fitness.” There are dozens of small things you can do every day to make healthy living as easy as possible. Sometimes, you end up helping create good habits without them even realizing it.
And in the true spirit of being a positive force, when you give your time and energy with any of these random acts, you get just as much in return.
Some ideas (in random order of course):
- Keep a variety of foods in the kitchen.
- Make sure you talk to them about other things besides weight loss and fitness.
- Stock kitchen with healthy cookbooks, leaving them where people can find them.
- Get the junk food out of the house.
- Plan an active activity after dinner.
- Make it a habit to play outdoor games together.
- Plan a cooking date.
- Cook at least three times a week for the household.
- If you already cook, cook healthier foods for the family.
- Maintain an upbeat attitude.
- Invite them to take part in a fundraiser that supports something important to all of you.
- Get a physical and urge them to do the same.
- Give “active” gifts, like personal training packages, a bicycle, roller blades, etc.
- Make a bet.
- Use positive language all the time.
- Be straight up and let them know you’re concerned about their health.
- Start a garden that you can work on together.
- Plan a “surprise” hike.
- Suggest walking more than driving.
- Take everyone on a canoe trip.
- Make their exercise a priority. Wash their gym clothes without being asked, do a chore for them so they have time. Make it easy for them.
- Sneak healthy snacks and a friendly note (maybe even a love note) into their lunch, briefcase, jacket pocket or purse.
- Prepare their favorite dish in a healthier way.
- Opt for activities as an excuse to spend time together.
- Ask them to help you stay on track.
- Turn off the TV and hide the remote.
- Give big, positive attention to changes that are made.
- If it’s your turn to pick, choose a healthy restaurant or one that’s within walking distance.