- Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 371.8
- Total Fat: 17.8 g
- Cholesterol: 250.0 mg
- Sodium: 360.2 mg
- Total Carbs: 44.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.0 g
- Protein: 9.1 g
Cake: Black Walnut ChiffonSubmitted by: MOMSCHRIEF
IntroductionMy mom made chiffon cakes for special occasions. These were light like an angelfood cake, but had more calories since you use oil and egg yolks. I haven't seen these kinds of cakes listed and wanted to share this. My mom made chiffon cakes for special occasions. These were light like an angelfood cake, but had more calories since you use oil and egg yolks. I haven't seen these kinds of cakes listed and wanted to share this.
*Cake flour 2.25 cup
Granulated Sugar, 1.5 cup
Baking Powder, 3 tsp
Salt, 1 tsp
*Canola Oil, .5 cup (original recipe said Wesson oil)
Egg Yolk 5 med. or large
Water, 3/4 cold
Vanilla Extract, .5 tsp
Black walnut flavoring, .5 tsp
egg whites: 1 cup
Cream Of Tartar, 0.5 tsp
*Black Walnuts, .5 cup, chopped finely
2. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and add: oil, egg yolks, cold water, vanilla and black walnut flavoring.
3. Beat with a mixer at medium speed, about 1 minute, until smooth.
4. In another large bowl measure the 1 c. egg whites and 1/ tsp cream of tartar. Beat until very stiff peaks form. Do not underbeat.
5. Pour egg yolk batter mixture over the beaten whites gently folding with a spatula until blended. Then gently fold in the finely chopped walnuts.
6. Pour into an angel food cake pan. Bake 55 minutes at 325 degrees. Then increase oven to 350 degrees and bake 10 minutes more or until top springs back when lightly touched.
7. When finished baking, turn pan upside down, placing tube on neck of funnel. Let cool before removing.
**Note: we always used an angel cake food pan that had the removeable bottom. It made it much easier to get the cake out of the pan. Be sure to gently take a dinner knife around the sides of the pan when you are ready to take the cake out.
We usually cut the servings smaller than 1/2th. For 16 servings each is about 279 calories. For 18 servings each is about 249 calories. If you add frosting it is more per serving.
Number of Servings: 12
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user MOMSCHRIEF.