Eggplant with toasted spicesSubmitted by: HERCKLE
IntroductionMayo Clinic Recipe Mayo Clinic Recipe
1 large eggplant (aubergine), about 1 1/2 lb
1 tsp mustard seed
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp curry powder
1 pinch each of: ginger, nutmeg, and cloves
1 TBSP olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 c cherry tomatoes, halved OR 1 c tomato sauce
1 TBSP light molasses
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 TBSP fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill or broiler.
2. Away from the heat source, lightly coat the grill rack or broiler pan with cooking spray. Position the cooking rack from 4 to 6 inches from the heat source.
3.Trim the eggplant and cut lengthwise into slices about 1/4" thick.
4. Arrange the slices on the rack or broiler pan and grill or broil, turning once, until the eggplant is tender and browned, about 5 minutes on each side.
5. Set aside and keep warm.
6. In a small bowl, combine the first 7 spices.
7. In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the spice mixture and cook, stirring constantly for about 30 seconds.
8. Quickly add the onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes.
9. Add the tomatoes, molasses, garlic and vinegar.
10. Cook the sauce, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 4 minutes.
11. Season with the salt and pepper.
12. Transfer the eggplant to a warmed serving dish or individual plates.
13. Pour the sauce over, and garnish with the cilantro.
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user HERCKLE.