Summer Fruit GratinSubmitted by: HERCKLE
IntroductionMayo Clinic Recipe Mayo Clinic Recipe
1 lb cherries, pitted and halved
4 c pitted and sliced mixed summer stone fruits, such as nectarines, peaches and apricots
1 TBSP whole wheat flour
1 TBSP firmly packed light brown sugar
FOR THE TOPPING:
1/2 c old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 c sliced (flaked) almonds
3 TBSP whole wheat flour
2 TBSP firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
2 TBSP walnut oil or canola oil
1 TBSP dark honey
Although this dessert uses a mix of summer stone fruits, it can be easily adapted. In early summer, combine raspberries and apricots. In the fall, try a combination of apples and cranberries.
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Lightly coat a 9" square baking dish with cooking spray.
3. In a bowl, combine the cherries and stone fruits. Sprinkle the 1 TBSP flour and 1 TBSP sugar and toss gently to mix.
4. To make the topping, in another bowl, combine the oats, almonds, 3 TBSP flour, 2 TBSP firmly packed light brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Whisk to blend. Stir in the oil and honey and mix until well blended.
5. Spread the fruit mixture evenly in the prepared baking dish.
6. Sprinkle the oat-almond mixture evenly over the fruit.
7. Bake until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is lightly browned, about 45 to 55 minutes.
8. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Number of Servings: 6
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user HERCKLE.