- Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 339.6
- Total Fat: 12.1 g
- Cholesterol: 72.1 mg
- Sodium: 95.4 mg
- Total Carbs: 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 35.0 g
New York Strip Steak with Whiskey-Mushroom SauceSubmitted by: HERCKLE
IntroductionMayo Clinic Recipe Mayo Clinic Recipe
* 2 NY strips teaks, each 4 oz, trimmed of all visible fat (or 1 8-oz, to be divided after cooking)
* 2 tsp whipped butter (recipe calls for 1 tsp trans-free margarine, so you may use this if you wish--for a lower calorie-and fat-count; I increased to 2 tsp because I felt the mixture was too dry)
* 3 garlic cloves, chopped
* 2 oz sliced shiitake mushrooms
* 2 oz button mushrooms ( I used what I had on hand, larger white mushrooms, and I sliced them)
* 1/4 tsp thyme
* 1/4 tsp rosemary
1/4 c whiskey
1. Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill or broiler.
2. Away from the heat source, lightly coat the grill rack or broiler pan with cooking spray. Position the cooking rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat source.
3. Grill or broil the steak(s) until slightly pink on the inside, about 10 minutes on each side. (I cooked 10 on one side and 13 on the other and it was a perfect medium.) Or until a food thermometer indicates 145F (medium rare), 160 F (medium) or 170 (well done).
4. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
5. In a small saucepan, heat the margarine over medium heat. Add the garlic, mushrooms, thyme and rosemary. Saute lightly until the mushrooms are tender, about 1 to 2 minutes. (At this point, I thought the mixture was too dry, and that is when I added a second tsp of whipped butter.)
6. Remove from the heat and carefully add the whiskey (be careful not to flame). Stir the sauce for another minute over a medium heat burner.
7. Top the steaks with the mushroom sauce and serve immediately.
Number of Servings: 2
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user HERCKLE.