Carrot Apple Spice MuffinsSubmitted by: SPECKER_RECK
IntroductionWhole wheat variation on the Martha Stewart Recipe Whole wheat variation on the Martha Stewart Recipe
* 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 2 teaspoons pumpkin-pie spice ( to make combine 1.5 tsp cinnamon w/ 1/4 tsp ginger and 1/4 tsp nutmeg)
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cups plain yogurt
* 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
* 1 large egg
* 2 cups peeled, shredded carrots (about 5 medium)
* 2 medium apples shredded
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together yogurt, butter, and egg. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add yogurt mixture. Stir until just combined. Fold in carrots and apples.
3. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. (If desired, muffins can be baked immediately in a 375-degree oven for about 20 minutes.) Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes, then cover tin with plastic wrap, and freeze until ready to bake, up to 3 months.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake muffins (still frozen) until a toothpick inserted in center of one comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Number of Servings: 12
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user SPECKER_RECK.