- Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 129.4
- Total Fat: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 5.4 mg
- Sodium: 1,643.9 mg
- Total Carbs: 25.6 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
Roasted Butternut Squash & Apple SoupSubmitted by: BARBSHAKESPEARE
IntroductionThis recipe by chef Terry Conlan is a favorite fall and winter soup at the Lake Austin Spa Resort. This recipe by chef Terry Conlan is a favorite fall and winter soup at the Lake Austin Spa Resort.
3 cups chopped seeded and peeled butternut squash
1 cup chopped onions
1 baking apple, cored and quartered (Macintosh, Jonathan or Granny Smith)
1/2 teaspoon canola oil
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
6 cups vegetable stock, divided
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
2. Arrange vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet.
3. Bake at 400F for 30 minutes.
4. Remove roasted vegetables to a blender or food processor and add ginger, garlic and about 1 1/2 cups of the stock; purÃ©e, adding more stock if necessary.
5. Use a little of remaining stock to deglaze the baking sheet; pour into a large soup pot over medium heat.
6. Combine 2 tablespoons of stock with cornstarch in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
7. Toast curry powder in a dry skillet until it begins to give off a nutty fragrance.
8. Add cornstarch mixture, curry powder, remaining stock, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to soup pot.
9. Cook until slightly thickened, stirring frequently.
10. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
11. Add milk and cream cheese; heat through until the cheese melts.
12. Correct seasonings.
13. Serve hot, garnished with minced chives, if desired.
Number of Servings: 6
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user BARBSHAKESPEARE.