Vegan Italian "Pork" SoupSubmitted by: GMARGARITA
IntroductionA warm, savory soup for enjoying on its own or with garlic bread and pasta. Contains only 121 calories but packs a nutritional punch with potassium, protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals! A warm, savory soup for enjoying on its own or with garlic bread and pasta. Contains only 121 calories but packs a nutritional punch with potassium, protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals!
* *Canned Diced Tomatoes w/ Basil, Garlic, and Oregano, 1 can
* Garlic, 3 cloves
* Eggplant, with skin, 3 cups chopped
* Onions, raw, 1 medium (2-1/2" dia)
* NOW brand Texturized Soy Protein Chunks, 3 cup
* Water, filtered or tap, 6 cups
* Oregano, ground, 2 Tbsp
* *Basil, dried ground, 2 Tbsp
* Salt, 1 tsp
* Tomato Sauce, 1 cup
* Ground Pepper, black, 1 tsp
* Nonstick Cooking Spray
1. Dice onion as desired and mince garlic.
2. Spray a large skillet, pot, or saucepan with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Heat to medium or medium-high, depending on cookware and stovetop.
4. Heat garlic and onion until fragrant.
5. Add basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir thoroughly.
6. Add eggplant, can of diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Stir thoroughly.
7. Add NOW brand Texturized Soy Protein Chunks and 6 cups filtered or tap water.
8. Cover and simmer on low for 30-45 minutes.
9. Serve 1 cup per serving and enjoy!
Serve over your favorite pasta or with a side of healthy garlic bread (toast whole wheat bread, spread 1 tsp. Smart Balance Light or Earth Balance margarine on top and sprinkle with garlic and onion powder).
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user GMARGARITA.