Vegetarian stuffed cabbageSubmitted by: ZENLIZZIE
IntroductionAn alternative to the traditional ground beef stuffed cabbage. An alternative to the traditional ground beef stuffed cabbage.
1 large head of cabbage
About 3 cups of tomato sauce (or 1 jar)
1 package of vegetarian sausage
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup onions finely chopped and sauteed
1/4 cup breadcrumbs (I used Panko)
1/4 cup uncooked brown rice
1 teaspoon minced thyme leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Bring large pot of water to a boil. Preheat your oven to 350*.
2. Cut stalk out of cabbage and remove any damaged outer leaves. Carefully place cabbage into boiling water.
3. After a few minutes, use tongs to begin peeling off the softened outer leaves of the cabbage. They should be more tender, but not mushy. Place the leaves on paper towels or somewhere to dry until you are ready to use them. You will need about 6 or 7 for this recipe.
4. Combine sausage, egg, rice, bread crumbs, onions, thyme, salt and pepper in a bowl.
5. After patting cabbage leaves dry, place about 3 tablespoons of the mixture near one edge of the leaf. (See photo above with rolling demonstration.) Fold the leaves over on the side and roll up, burrito style.
6. Add thin layer of sauce to baking dish, and place rolled cabbage seam-side down in the dish. Depending on the size of your dish, you may need to layer the rolls. Just add a some sauce to each layer.
7. Use remaining sauce to cover rolls. Place covered dish in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes at 350*.
Number of Servings: 6
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user ZENLIZZIE.