Mexican Beans & RiceSubmitted by: JULIEIRENE
Introductionvariations on a theme from nomeatathlete.com variations on a theme from nomeatathlete.com
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups pinto beans (cooked or canned)
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 chili pepper, diced finely (optional)
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
3 medium/large tomatoes, chopped & juice drained off
juice of 1 lime (split in two)
1 cup brown rice
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2. Heat oil in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Sautee onions, garlic & chili pepper for about 5 minutes.
3. Add beans, cumin & chili powder and toss to heat through.
4. Add chopped tomatoes & juice of 1/2 a lime.
5. Bring to a boil, then allow to simmer 5-10 minutes or until tomatoes are well cooked.
6. Toss juice of 1/2 lime and chopped cilantro into the rice.
7. Serve beans & rice together. Nice toppings or sides are sour cream, corn tortillas, and guacamole or sliced avocado.
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user JULIEIRENE.