Vegan Pesto Eggplant PizzaSubmitted by: NEWSUGARMOON
Introductionadapted from Vegetarian Times adapted from Vegetarian Times
* Trader Joe's pizza dough (almost whole wheat)
* 1/3 cup pine nuts,
* 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
* 4 oz Trader Joe San organic tofu (or other low-fat tofu)
* 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp olive oil
* Cooking spray
* 6 oz fresh baby or regular eggplant, stemmed and sliced
* 1 cup diced seeded tomatoes
Blend 1/4 cup basil, garlic, red pepper flakes, and 2 1/2 tbsp. pine nuts in a food processor until finely chopped. Add tofu and 1 tbsp. of the oil. Process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Heat cooking spray in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the eggplant and cook, turning occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes, or until browned and tender. Transfer to plate. Repeat with cooking spray and remaining eggplant slices.
Toss tomatoes with 1 tsp. of the oil in bowl. Brush crust dough with 1 tsp. of the oil. Spread pesto mixture over crust. Scatter eggplant and tomatoes over pesto. Sprinkle with remaining pine nuts.
Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes or until sauce is bubbly. Sprinkle pizza with remaining basil right before serving.
Makes eight single-slice servings.
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user NEWSUGARMOON.