- Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 116.2
- Total Fat: 3.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 475.9 mg
- Total Carbs: 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 4.2 g
- Protein: 5.7 g
Vegetarian Paella with Chorzo 'Sausages'Submitted by: IMVEGAN
IntroductionI found this base recipe on "Everyday Dish TV" then adjusted it to my taste by adding vegan Chorzo or Italian sausage and more spice. This recipe makes a ton and is good for pot luck or shared dinners.
I found this base recipe on "Everyday Dish TV" then adjusted it to my taste by adding vegan Chorzo or Italian sausage and more spice. This recipe makes a ton and is good for pot luck or shared dinners.
2 Lightlife Smart Sausages, Chorizo Style cut up
1.5 cup Brown Basmanti Rice, long grain (soaked and then rinsed to remove as much of the starch as you can.)
3 Cups Water + 3 tsp, Home Made Vegetable Bouillon (or use 3 cups vegetable stock) (Also good with No Chicken Stock)
1 can Del Monte Petite Cut Diced Tomatoes drained or 1 large diced fresh tomato
3/4 cup Peppers, red or green or mixed
1/2 cup Celery, diced
1 med Onion diced
1 large Carrot diced
1 cup fresh Green Beans cut in pieces
3/4 cup frozen Peas thawed and drained
Broccoli, fresh about 2 cups cut up
1/2 cup Cauliflower
2 or 3 bay leaves
Garlic, 2 cloves
Tomato Paste, 1 heaping teaspoon
1 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Oregano
Pepper, black, 1 dash
Cayenne pepper to taste
Pepper, ancho (I used 1/2 of a single canned ancho pepper diced)
1/4 teaspoon Smoked Paprika,
Olive Oil, 1 tbsp
Before beginning the recipe thaw and drain the peas and blanch the veggies. (I chose carrots, cauliflower, green beans and broccoli. If you use broccoli do not blanch it first, just add it at step 7.)
1. Saute onion, garlic, bell peppers and celery in olive oil for 2 minutes.
2. Add cut up sausage and stir fry another minute.
3. Add rice, thyme, oregano, paprika and bay leaf and saffron and fry until the rice is coated with oil.
4. Add drained diced tomatoes and stir.
5. Add the water, bouillon, tomato paste, and salt and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, until nearly done.
7. When the 30 minute timer goes off. Add the peas, green beans, cauliflower, carrots and uncooked broccoli to the pan. Do not mix them into the rice yet just let them sit on the top of the rice. Recover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
8. After the rice is done, stir the veggies into the rice, recover and let sit for 5 more minutes.
Number of Servings: 10
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user IMVEGAN.