African Peanut StewSubmitted by: EQUIS8
IntroductionI didn't add the sprinkled roasted peanuts into the calorie total. Makes approximately 8 1.25 cup servings. I didn't add the sprinkled roasted peanuts into the calorie total. Makes approximately 8 1.25 cup servings.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1lb chicken breast
1 large sweet potato
2 medium onions
4 large garlic cloves
1 inch x 1 inch piece of fresh ginger (approx)
3 celery stalks
14oz diced tomatoes
15oz medium salsa
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2/3 cup of chunky peanut butter
3 cups cooked rice
4 cups chicken stock
6oz fresh baby spinach
2. When chicken begins to brown take garlic out and mince along with the ginger
3. Finely dice onion, chop carrots and celery.
4. Add garlic, ginger, onion, carrots and celery to the pot.
5. Simmer till celery and onions turn translucent.
6. Cut sweet potato into cubes.
7. Add sweet potato, diced tomatoes (liquid and all), salsa, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin, bay leaves, chili powder, and chicken stock to the pot.
8. Simmer till the potatoes are soft.
9. Meanwhile start rice cooking in a separate pot
10. Add peanut butter and baby spinach
11. Mix peanut butter in well and cook till spinach is done.
12. Stir in cooked rice
13. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and serve.
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user EQUIS8.