- Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 142.7
- Total Fat: 2.5 g
- Cholesterol: 1.0 mg
- Sodium: 167.3 mg
- Total Carbs: 27.0 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.5 g
- Protein: 5.1 g
Apple, Banana, Berry, Applesauce, Oatmeal MuffinsSubmitted by: ECHOSPRINGS
IntroductionVery filling, sugar-free, low fat Very filling, sugar-free, low fat
1 cup (250 mL) quick-cook oatmeal (or old-fashioned, see note)
1 cup (250 mL) fat-free skim milk
1/2 (125 mL) cup white flour
1/2 (125 mL) cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup (125 mL) ground flax seeds (or wheat germ)
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) cinnamon (or to taste)
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) nutmeg (or to taste)
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) cloves (or to taste)
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) allspice (or to taste)
1 cup (250 mL) splenda (or white sugar)
4 (or 1/2 cup, 125 mL) egg whites
1 cup (250 mL) mashed bananas
1/2 cup (125 mL) unsweetened apple sauce
2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
1/2 cup (250 mL) fat free sour cream
3/4 cup (187.5 mL) fresh blueberries (or other berries, or raisins, etc. Nutritional info is for blueberries)
1 medium apple, sliced thinly or chunked (depending on your taste, thin slices will be softer after cooking, chunks will still have a bit of crunch. I leave the skin on the apples)
--Makes 12 servings
--If using old-fashioned oatmeal, soak for at least 1 hour in the skim milk. If using quick-cooking oats, soak at least 10 minutes. I prefer to use quick-cooking oats and to soak for 20 minutes.
--You CAN use regular sugar for this recipe. I prefer not to. Nutritional information is for splenda. Please re-calculate if you use regular sugar.
1) Preheat oven to 350F (175 C). Grease 12 muffin cups or line with muffin liners
2) Soak oats as directed in the note section above. To this add the splenda (or sugar), egg whites, bananas, applesauce, vanilla and sour cream. Blend (or mix) until uniform.
3) In a separate bowl mix flours, flax seed, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add this cup by cup to the liquid mixture, blending completely between eat cup addition.
4) Fold in blueberries and apple chunks
5) Distribute evenly into greased muffin tin or cups. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the muffin comes out clean.
Number of Servings: 12
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user ECHOSPRINGS.