- Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 135.0
- Total Fat: 6.7 g
- Cholesterol: 11.2 mg
- Sodium: 296.3 mg
- Total Carbs: 15.3 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.7 g
- Protein: 5.2 g
Butternut Barley Risotto with Goat Cheese and Toasted AlmondsSubmitted by: JVANAM
3 green tea teabags
1 cup quick-cooking pearled barley
3 cups of 1/2-inch diced butternut squash (12 ounces)
2 teaspoons Madras curry powder, or other spicy Indian curry powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
1/4 cup sliced unblanched almonds, toasted
2) Meanwhile, toast barley in a dry sauté pan or deep skillet over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3) Add squash, 1 cup of the tea, curry and salt.
4) Simmer, stirring frequently, until tea is absorbed, 3 to 4 minutes. Add additional tea by 1/2 cupfuls, simmering until tea is absorbed before adding additional liquid. This should take 12 to 14 minutes.
5) When barley and squash are tender and all tea has been incorporated, remove from heat. (Barley should be on the wet side to make a creamy sauce; if it is dry, stir in a little hot water.)
6) Stir in goat cheese until melted and creamy.
7) Transfer to serving plates; top with almonds.
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user JVANAM.