- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 343.2
- Total Fat: 10.7 g
- Cholesterol: 171.0 mg
- Sodium: 780.9 mg
- Total Carbs: 4.9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 54.2 g
Oven Roasted Whole Chicken with Garlic and Three Pepper Spice RubSubmitted by: ONETRISH
IntroductionA simple roasted chicken that is juicy with or without the skin. Very simple prep and can be cooked at the same time/temperature as my Garlic and Thyme Roasted Red Potatoes, so the whole meal is done at one time. A simple roasted chicken that is juicy with or without the skin. Very simple prep and can be cooked at the same time/temperature as my Garlic and Thyme Roasted Red Potatoes, so the whole meal is done at one time.
1-Roasting Chicken (5.5 pounds)
3-Cloves of garlic
Poultry Seasoning, Cayenne Pepper, white pepper, onion powder and Salt and Black Pepper (to taste).
Drizzle of olive oil (to taste)
1/2 cup of reduced sodium/fat chicken broth
2. In a bowl, mix minced garlic and spices.
3. Rub mixture under the skin of the chicken.
4. Take a small amount of olive oil and drizzle very lightly over the outside of the chicken.
5. Take additional amounts of poultry seasoning, salt and black pepper and sprinkle over the surface of the chicken.
6. Cut up 1 onion into small chunks. Same thing for the carrots.
7. Stick the onions and carrots into the cavity of the chicken. Add fresh Thyme sprigs. (Make sure to remove any gizzards etc before cooking)
8. Get a roasting pan and create a bed of onions, carrots and thyme sprigs. Add a 1/2 cup of chicken broth to the bottom of the pan.
9. Place chicken on top of the veggie bed and place, uncovered, into preheated oven (375 degrees).
10. Cook for 1.5 to 2 hours, occasionally basting.
11. Remove when meat is 180 degrees or juices run clear.
12. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes so chicken can reabsorb the juices. Then carve and serve. Remove skin before eating. If you eat the skin add additional calories to this recipe.
Serving and calorie amounts are for cooked, boneless and skinless servings of chicken.
Approximately 9 ounces of cooked chicken per serving.
***Note: Due to different cooking temperatures and food borne bacterias, I don't eat the onions or carrots from the cavity or bottom of the pan. I use them to add flavor to the juices for basting.
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user ONETRISH.