tofu parmesanSubmitted by: BBOUSAMR
* 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
* 5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
* 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
* salt to taste
* ground black pepper to taste
* 1 (12 ounce) package firm tofu
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
2. Slice tofu into 1/4 inch thick slices, and place in bowl of cold water. One at a time, press tofu slices into crumb mixture, turning to coat all sides.
3. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook tofu slices until crisp on one side. Drizzle with a bit more olive oil, turn, and brown on the other side.
4. Combine tomato sauce, basil, garlic, and remaining oregano. Place a thin layer of sauce in an 8 inch square baking pan. Arrange tofu slices in the pan. Spoon remaining sauce over tofu. Top with shredded mozzarella and remaining 3 tablespoons Parmesan.
5. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 20 minutes.
Number of Servings: 1
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user BBOUSAMR.
Rate This Recipe
Member Ratings For This Recipe
This was excellent. I dipped the tofu in egg white. I made half frying in oil; half spraying a pyrex dish with cooking spray and baking in the oven. Both were excellent; might as well save the calories on the oil as it is no sacrifice. I typically do not eat tofu and was looking an adventure. - 2/1/11