African-style Peanut StewSubmitted by: 15THC_ODETTE
2 tbs olive oil
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1 large onion, chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 quart vegetable stock
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks.
1 can (14.5 oz) crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz) chick peas, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz) corn, drained and rinsed (or 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed)
1 cup water
2. Add jalapenos and onion and cook for 3 minutes, stir to keep from burning
3. Add spices and cook another minute.
4. Add the stock, sweet potatoes, and tomatoes (including juice).
5. Raise heat to high and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
7. While the pot is simmering, whisk the peanut butter and water together until smooth.
8. After 15 minutes of simmering, stir in the peanut butter mixture, bean, chickpeas and corn.
9. Cook another 10 minutes or until heated through.
Serve over brown rice (but any other whole grain will work).
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user 15THC_ODETTE.