Spiced Winter Fruit CompoteSubmitted by: ERMABOM
IntroductionFrom Good Housekeeping.com From Good Housekeeping.com
* 2 large navel oranges
* 4 cup(s) water
* 1/2 cup(s) sugar
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 1 whole star anise
* 2 large ripe Bartlett pears
* 1 med Granny Smith apple
* 1 med Gala or Fuji apple
* 1 med Jazz apple
* 1 med McIntosh apple
* 1 cup(s) dried Black Mission figs, cut in quarters
* 1 cup(s) dried apricots, cuts in half
* 1 cup(s) dried plums (prunes)
* 1 cup(s) dried sour cherries
2. In 4-quart saucepan, combine water, sugar, cinnamon, star anise, and reserved orange peel. Cover and heat to boiling on high; reduce heat to medium and simmer 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, peel and core pears and apples, then cut each fruit into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
4. Stir figs, apricots, plums, cherries, pears and apples and simmer 10 minutes or until fruit is tender but not mushy, stirring occasionally.
5. Remove compote from heat and stir in reserved orange juice. Let stand at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. Discard orange peel, cinnamon, and star anise before serving.
Number of Servings: 26
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user ERMABOM.