- Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 226.7
- Total Fat: 4.7 g
- Cholesterol: 6.5 mg
- Sodium: 327.8 mg
- Total Carbs: 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 17.4 g
Crustless Quiche with spicy black beansSubmitted by: BINGHAM37
IntroductionZesty black beans make this egg dish something you'll really look forward to serving anytime. Zesty black beans make this egg dish something you'll really look forward to serving anytime.
2 cups yellow corn meal (dry and uncooked)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
3 cups shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups egg sub (or 8 eggs)
2 cups unsweetened soy milk (or non-fat half and half)
2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies
1 can (~16oz) low-sodium black beans, drained
1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped green onions
2 - 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
1/2 teaspoon pepper
salsa for serving on the side at the table
(Note: there's plenty of salt in the cheese)
1. Line two 8" or 9" casserole dishes with one cup each of the cornmeal. Then carefully layer half the beans in each dish.
2. Sprinkle the chili powder and cumin over the beans. Divide the cheese evenly into casseroles but reserve a cup for topping.
3. In a bowl, whisk the egg substitute, soy milk, chilies, onions, cilantro, and pepper. Pour over the cheese.
4. Top with reserved cheese. If you want to freeze one or both, cover and freeze up to three months.
5. To prepare a quiche immediately: Place on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa.
6. To prepare the frozen quiche: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Place on a baking sheet. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted in the center. Let stand for 10 minutes before baking.
Number of Servings: 12
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user BINGHAM37.