Lentil SoupSubmitted by: CROWNECAKES
* 3 strips (3 ounces) bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 3 medium carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/4-inch half-moons
* 3 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste
* 1 1/2 cups lentils, picked over and rinsed
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
* 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth (3 1/2 cups)
* 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
* Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2. Add onion and carrots; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato paste, and cook 1 minute.
3. Add lentils, thyme, broth, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cover; cook until lentils are tender, 30 to 45 minutes.
4. Stir in vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Serve immediately.
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user CROWNECAKES.