Turkey Chili Pot PieSubmitted by: PLEEBLES
IntroductionFrom Good Housekeeping Magazine. They say 6 servings is 465 calories, this is why I also enter my own data based on my food - I got over 500 so I made it down to 8 servings which is a more reasonable 405 calories. From Good Housekeeping Magazine. They say 6 servings is 465 calories, this is why I also enter my own data based on my food - I got over 500 so I made it down to 8 servings which is a more reasonable 405 calories.
1.32 lbs. Shop Rite Ground Lean Turkey
1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
1 cup Frozen Yellow Sweet Corn kernels, thawed
1 Large Sweet Potato (about 1 lb), peeled and chopped
1/4 c Water
1 tbsp Canola Oil
1 Raw Jumbo Onion (about 1 lb)
3 Cloves of Garlic
1 tbsp Old El Paso Jalapeno Slices, finely chopped
1 tbsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1 can (14.5 oz) Red Pack Diced Tomatoes in Juice
1 can (14.5 oz) Red Pack Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic, & Oregano
1 can (15 oz) Shop Rite Black Beans
2. Prepare cornbread mix as directed except use HALF of liquid specified. Fold corn into batter, set aside.
3. Place sweet potatoes and water in microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high 5 minutes or until tender.
4. In deep 12-in. enamel-coated or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add onion and cook 5-7 min. or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add turkey, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Cook 3 minutes or until lightly browned, breaking up meat into small pieces. Add garlic, jalapenos, chili powder, cumin, and sweet potatoes with their liquid. Cook 1 minute, stirring.
5. Add tomatoes, beans, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Heat until bubbling, stirring occasionally. Dollop cornbread mixture over top, leaving 1-in rim around edge. With spatula, spread mixture to cover most of surface.
6. Place skillet on foil-lined jelly roll pan to catch any drips. Bake 22 minutes or until golden brown on top and bubbling. Garnish with cilantro.
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user PLEEBLES.