Tortilla SoupSubmitted by: CLAYCREW
IntroductionYummy Tortilla Soup - great source of protein and fiber Yummy Tortilla Soup - great source of protein and fiber
• 4 medium chicken breast halves, boneless skinless, cooked (~7oz each)
• 1 1/2 cup(s) yellow onion, chopped
• 1 tbsp butter, with salt
• 16 oz corn (frozen)
• 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
• 2 cup(s) salsa
• 1 1/2 can(s) chicken broth, low sodium
• 1 tsp chili powder
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1 cup(s) milk, skim
• 1 package(s) low fat cream cheese, 8 oz.(Neufchatel)
• 1 bag tortilla chips (optional topping - not included in nutrition count) or corn bread on side
1. Shred cooked chicken.
2. Saute chopped onion in butter in med-large pot for 5 - 7 minutes.
3. Add frozen corn, salsa, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, milk, and chicken. Bring just to a boil.
4. Stir in cream cheese until melted.
5. Serve with tortilla chips or cornbread if desired.
Chicken shreds really well if you cook it in a crock pot with a little water (or in about 2 cups of extra salsa) for about 4 hours on low. Discard salsa after cooking chicken. You can also roast the chicken (bone-in, skin-on) or buy a rotisserie chicken. Could use smaller chicken breasts to reduce calories/protein per serving and soup will be more "brothy".
To reduce sodium, use unsalted butter, low sodium beans (drain & rinse very well), lower sodium Salsa (I used Pace PIcante).
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user CLAYCREW.