- Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 224.3
- Total Fat: 7.2 g
- Cholesterol: 40.2 mg
- Sodium: 396.1 mg
- Total Carbs: 18.0 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 20.0 g
Mexican Tortilla Soup with Roasted ChickenSubmitted by: JGOARING
IntroductionI modified this slightly from the version I got from "One Family One Meal" by adding the corn and beans -- makes it a bit more hearty - more of a full meal. Can serve topped with cheese, sour cream, diced avocados... whatever sounds good. I modified this slightly from the version I got from "One Family One Meal" by adding the corn and beans -- makes it a bit more hearty - more of a full meal. Can serve topped with cheese, sour cream, diced avocados... whatever sounds good.
* Pacific Natural Foods Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth, 1 cup, 4 serving (remove)
* Olive Oil, 0.25 cup (remove)
* *Onion yellow (1 Medium / Serving), 0.5 serving (remove)
* Garlic, 6 clove (remove)
* *Cumin seed, .5 tsp (remove)
* *kosher salt, 0.25 tsp (remove)
* *ground black pepper, 1 tsp (remove)
* Chicken Breast, no skin, 22 ounces (remove)
* *Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes, 28 oz (remove)
* *Lime Juice, juice of 1 lime, 3 tbsp (remove)
* *Petite White Corn, Frozen, 1 cup (remove)
* *Western Family Black beans low sodium, 15 oz (remove)
* Cilantro, raw, 6 tbsp (remove)
* Corn Tortillas, 4 tortilla, medium (approx 6" dia) (remove)
In a large stockpot over a medium-low flame, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onions and sauté them until they are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, ¼ teaspoon salt, and a generous grinding of pepper, and sauté the mixture another minute.
Add the chicken broth, raise the flame to high, and bring it to a simmer. Add the shredded chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, lime juice, and cilantro. Season to taste with more salt and freshly ground pepper if needed. Remove the stockpot from the heat and cover.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the tortilla strips and allow them to brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle them with salt.
To serve, ladle soup into bowls, top with cubed avocado, shredded cheese, and a handful of tortilla strips.
Number of Servings: 9
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user JGOARING.