- Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 133.7
- Total Fat: 3.7 g
- Cholesterol: 4.2 mg
- Sodium: 233.7 mg
- Total Carbs: 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 3.9 g
Multigrain Bread from America's Test KitchenSubmitted by: PURPLELIZ421
IntroductionLove, love, love this bread! And so does my entire family! Love, love, love this bread! And so does my entire family!
* 6 1/4 ounces 7-grain hot cereal mix , 1 1/4 cups
* 20 ounces boiling water (2 1/2 cups)
* 15 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour (3 cups), plus extra for dusting work surface
* 7 1/2 ounces whole wheat flour (1 1/2 cups)
* 4 tablespoons honey
* 4 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted and cooled slightly
* 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
* 1 tablespoon table salt
* 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds, (unsalted)
* 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats or quick oats
Makes two loaves. Approximately 15 slices per loaf or 30 for both. Nutrition facts are based on both loaves.
* 1. Place cereal mix in bowl of standing mixer and pour boiling water over it; let stand, stirring occasionally, until mixture cools to 100 degrees and resembles thick porridge, about 1 hour. Whisk flours in medium bowl.
* 2. Once grain mixture has cooled, add honey, melted butter, and yeast and stir to combine. Attach bowl to standing mixer fitted with dough hook. With mixer running on low speed, add flours, 1/2 cup at a time, and knead until dough forms ball, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes; cover bowl with plastic and let dough rest 20 minutes. Add salt and knead on medium-low speed until dough clears sides of bowl, 3 to 4 minutes (if it does not clear sides, add 2 to 3 tablespoons additional all-purpose flour and continue mixing); continue to knead dough for 5 more minutes. Add seeds and knead for another 15 seconds. Transfer dough to floured work surface and knead by hand until seeds are dispersed evenly and dough forms smooth, taut ball. Place dough into greased container with 4-quart capacity; cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled, 45 to 60 minutes.
* 3. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray two 9 by 5-inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface and pat into 12 by 9-inch rectangle; cut dough in half crosswise with knife or bench scraper. Roll dough up starting with short side toward you then coat loaves with oats; cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rise until almost doubled in size, 30 to 40 minutes. (Dough should barely spring back when poked with knuckle.) Bake until internal temperature registers 200 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove loaves from pans and cool on wire rack before slicing, about 3 hours.
Number of Servings: 30
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user PURPLELIZ421.