- Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 269.3
- Total Fat: 9.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 694.7 mg
- Total Carbs: 35.5 g
- Dietary Fiber: 8.7 g
- Protein: 11.0 g
Vegan Sweet Potato Peanut Soup (adapted from VegNews)Submitted by: SUNNYH99
IntroductionThis delicious African-influenced soup was featured in the January-February 2011 issue of VegNews magazine. I added more sweet potato, garlic, vegetable broth, and kidney beans than the recipe called for, doubling the yield. This delicious African-influenced soup was featured in the January-February 2011 issue of VegNews magazine. I added more sweet potato, garlic, vegetable broth, and kidney beans than the recipe called for, doubling the yield.
1/2 tbs Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
1 large Onion, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
3 cups diced Sweet Potato in 1/4" dices (about 3 medium)
5 cups Organic Vegetable Broth
1 14-oz can Organic Diced Tomatoes
1/2 cup Natural Peanut Butter, Creamy
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 can Organic Light Kidney Beans
4 cups Organic Baby Spinach
1. In a heavy pot, saute onion in olive oil until soft. Add garlic and saute 2 minutes.
2. Add diced sweet potatoes, broth and tomatoes and cook until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
3. Take out 1/2 cup of hot broth, place in small bowl, stir in peanut butter and cayenne, and whisk until smooth, then add back into pot of soup. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add spinach and kidney beans and simmer at least 5 minutes to wilt spinach.
5. Serve and enjoy! Optional: added chopped peanuts as garnish.
This soup is so good!
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user SUNNYH99.
Rate This Recipe
Member Ratings For This Recipe
I'm not a fan of spinach or kidney beans, so instead of putting those in, I sauteed carrots and celery with the onions and garlic. I also used pre-cooked, pureed sweet potatoes. This soup was SO GOOD that two days later, I made it again! I think I could eat the whole pot at once if I let myself! - 11/11/12