- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 329.4
- Total Fat: 5.5 g
- Cholesterol: 82.2 mg
- Sodium: 451.1 mg
- Total Carbs: 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber: 11.7 g
- Protein: 44.6 g
Braised Chicken Breasts with Lentils and AsparagusSubmitted by: CLADY326
IntroductionIn this lucious and earthy dish, a richly flavored garlic sauce coats pieces of gently braised chicken. Fiber and protein packed lentils, flavored with orange zest, complement the chicken broth in flavor and texture. For those who are garlic wary, fear not: Cooking whole cloves mellows the flavor, and they lose their telltale pungency. In this lucious and earthy dish, a richly flavored garlic sauce coats pieces of gently braised chicken. Fiber and protein packed lentils, flavored with orange zest, complement the chicken broth in flavor and texture. For those who are garlic wary, fear not: Cooking whole cloves mellows the flavor, and they lose their telltale pungency.
4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (5oz each), fat trimmed
1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves, divided
1 Tsp minced orange zest, divided
1/2 Tsp of Ground black pepper, divided
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
10 Cloves garlic, trimmed and bruised with the side of a knife
2 1/2 C. Reduced sodium, low fat chicken broth, divided
2/3 C. Brown lentils, dry
2 C. Asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
2. Heat the oil in a deep 10-inch skillet or sauce pan over medium heat, until it shimmers. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the chicken and garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Turn the chicken and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the broth. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the garlic is soft, about 15 minutes. After it is cooked, transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with foil.
3. Transfer the braising liquid and garlic to a blender or food processor and puree. Pour into a small saucepan and keep warm.
4. In the same pan, bring the remaining 2 cups of broth to a boil. Stir in the lentils and cook, covered, over medium-low heat until almost tender, about 20 minutes. If the liquid is not almost all absorbed, continue to boil, uncovered, over medium heat to evaporate the excess liquid.
5. Stir the asparagus, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon of orange zest and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of pepper into the lentils. Gently mix this mixture. Then arrange the chicken on top of the lentils/asparagas mixture. Cook, covered, until the asparagus is crisp tender and the chicken is heated through, about 5 minutes.
6. Pour the garlic sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspons of thyme before serving.
Serving = 5 oz chicken breast. and approx. 2/3 - 3/4 C. Lentil/Asparagus Mixture
Recipe comes from "NEW YEAR! NEW YOU! recipies"
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user CLADY326.