Shrimp GumboSubmitted by: MARZANNA
IntroductionMy version of shrimp gumbo includes okra, celery, onion and tomatoes. This recipe also includes 1/2 cup of rice per serving. My version of shrimp gumbo includes okra, celery, onion and tomatoes. This recipe also includes 1/2 cup of rice per serving.
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp white flour
1 cup celery, sliced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped onions
1 10 oz pkg of frozen okra, thawed
1 10 oz can of tomatoes with green chilies (like Rotel)
1 14 1/2 oz diced tomatoes
1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cups cooked brown rice
2. Add in flour; stir and cook about 1 minute.
3. Add tomatoes, Rotel tomatoes, okra and seasonings and stir to combine well. Bring to a simmer, cover with lid and turn to low; let simmer until okra is done, about 10-15 minutes.
4. Add shrimp and cook until shrimp start to turn pink and are done; about 3 - 5 minutes. Be careful not to overcook shrimp as they will become rubbery.
5. Check to see if you need to add additional salt and/or pepper to your taste.
6. Measure out 1/2 cup rice into large bowls then divide gumbo equally onto the rice and serve.
Serving Size: makes 4 servings (divide evenly)
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user MARZANNA.