Peruvian Quinoa StewSubmitted by: JGRUSSO
IntroductionA Hearty Vegan Gluten Free Stew filled with fresh veggies. A Hearty Vegan Gluten Free Stew filled with fresh veggies.
2.5 cups quinoa
5 cups water
10 cups chopped onions
10 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1/4 cup vegetable oil
5 celery stalks, chopped
5 carrots, cut on the diagonal into ¼-inch thick slices
5 bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
5 cups cubed zucchini
10 cups undrained chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
5 cups water or vegetable stock
3.5 Tablespoons ground cumin
1 Tablespoons chili powder
2 Tablespoons ground coriander
Pinch of cayenne (or more to taste)
3.5 Tablespoons fresh oregano
Salt to taste
Quinoa is coated with a natural substance called saponin that protects the grain by repelling insects and birds. Rinsing the quinoa is important to avoid a raw or bitter taste. You can tell if there is saponin by the production of a soapy looking "suds" when the seeds are swished in water.
Good news! If you are using Ancient Harvest Quinoa you can skip this step. It's already rinsed!
2. Place rinsed quinoa and water in pot (covered) and cook covered on medium-low heat for about 15 minutes until soft.
3. While the quinoa is cooking place the onions, garlic and vegetable oil in covered soup pot and saute on medium heat for 5 minutes
4. And celery and carrots to the soup pot and cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring often
5. Add the bell pepper, zucchini, tomatoes, and one cup water or vegetable stock to soup pot. Stir in cumin, chili powder, coriander, cayenne and oregano to soup pot simmer covered for 10 to 15 minutes until vegetables are tender.
6. Stir in cooked quinoa and salt to taste.
7. Serve immediately.
Serving Size: bowls
Number of Servings: 30
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user JGRUSSO.