CInnamon Apple SconesSubmitted by: JULIEIRENE
IntroductionI am really on a scone kick right now. One of these days I'm going to figure out how to make a lower calorie version of these. Until then, I allow myself one and send the rest to friends! I am really on a scone kick right now. One of these days I'm going to figure out how to make a lower calorie version of these. Until then, I allow myself one and send the rest to friends!
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup butter or vegetable shortening
3/4 cup nonfat milk
1/3 cup honey
2 small apples, finely diced
1 Tbsp wheat germ
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2. Mix dry scone ingredients together.
3. Use a pastry blender to cut in the butter/shortening until the mixture resembles crumbs.
4. In a separate bowl, combine egg, milk, honey and apples.
5. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just mixed.
6. Shape into 2 dough-balls.
7. Roll each ball out to about 3/4" thickness.
8. Mix together Topping ingredients and spread over evenly.
9. Cut each into 8 even wedges, like you would a pizza.
10. Place scone wedges on an oiled pan (or parchment paper on a cookie sheet)
11. Bake at 400-degrees for about 20 minutes.
Serving Size: Makes 16 evenly cut wedges.
Number of Servings: 16
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user JULIEIRENE.