Pumpkin Shrimp BisqueSubmitted by: VMARSTON
IntroductionA family favorite during the holidays A family favorite during the holidays
1 tbsp butter, unsalted
1 large onion, diced
1 cup leeks, chopped-white parts only
4 cups canned pumpkin without salt (2-16 ounce cans)
6-7 cups dhicken broth (99% Fat Free)
.5 cup fresh parsley, minced
Nutmeg, ground, to taste
Pepper, to taste
1 pound shrimp, raw, peeled and deveined
3 cups Milk, 1%
1 tbs lemon juice, freshly squeezed
2. Stir in pumpkin, 6 cups broth, and parsley. Simmer over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Stir in milk. And nutmeg and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. Do not boil.
4. Coarsely chop half the shrimp. Set aside.
5. Add the remaining whole shrimp to the soup and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until shrimp turns pink.
6.. Puree mixture in a food processor until smooth. Stir in lemon juice.
7. Return mixture to pot, and cook gently for 5-10 minutes. Add more stock to thin soup and adjust seasonings if you want.
8. Add the reserved chopped shrimp and cook 1-2 minutes more.
9. Garnish with parsley sprig and a single shrimp if you want.
We have prepared this the night before holiday dinners up to step 7, with no problem.
Number of Servings: 10
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user VMARSTON.