Slow-Cooker MoussakaSubmitted by: JULIE651
2 medium eggplants, thinly sliced
Olive flavored cooking spray
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 lb. 93% lean ground beef
1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp. black pepper
For the Topping:
4 Tbsp. Smart Balance light buttery spread
1/2 c. white flour
2 1/2 c. skim milk
3/4 c. Kraft Reduced -Fat Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp. plain bread crumbs
2. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray. Layer the eggplant slices and spray the tops with cooking spray. Place eggplant slices under broiler and cook about 5 minutes each side, until eggplant is softened and golden brown.
3. Layer half of the eggplant slices in slow cooker.
4. Brown the ground beef in a frying pan, with the onion and garlic. Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, cinnamon, and black pepper and bring to a boil.
5. Spoon the meat mixture over the eggplant slices in the slow cooker. Top with the other half of the eggplant slices, cover, and cook on High for 2 hours.
6. Meanwhile, melt Smart Balance in a pan, stir in the flour and cook for one minute. Gradually stir in the milk and bring to a boil over low heat and cook until thick and creamy. Stir in the nutmeg and 1/2 c. cheese until cheese is melted.
7. Remove from heat and let sauce cool 5 minutes. Beat in the egg yolk, and pour the sauce over eggplant slices in slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for another two hours or until the topping is lightly set.
8. Sprinkle the remaining cheese and bread crumbs over the top. Replace lid until cheese melts. Turn off slow cooker and let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Serving Size: Makes approximately 6 (1 cup) servings.
Number of Servings: 6
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user JULIE651.