Fruit Compote with Honey Yogurt
This is a SparkPeople.com Recipe (what's this)
IntroductionA sweet treat after dinner. A sweet treat after dinner.
- 3 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1 slice (about 1/4 inch) fresh ginger
- 2 ripe pears
- 2 Golden Delicious apples
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dried apricot halves
- 6 pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup plain, lowfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- julienned strips of lemon zest
2. Peel, quarter and core the pears and apples and toss with lemon juice. Add to saucepan. Cover and cook over low heat until pears are just tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Add apricots and prunes and then cover, cooking for 5 minutes on low heat.
4. With a slotted spoon, transfer the fruit to a serving bowl.
5. Raise heat and boil the apple juice mixture, uncovered until it reduces to 1 3/4 cups. Cool liquid slightly then pour over the fruit.
6. Stir the yogurt and honey together in a small bowl and set aside. Toast the almonds in a small skillet (unoiled) over low heat until golden (about 2 minutes.)
7. Drizzle the fruit with a spoonful of the yogurt and honey mix. Garnish with strips of the lemon zest and sprinkle with the toasted almonds.
Reprinted with permission by Public Health – Seattle & King County