Strawberry Sponge ShortcakeSubmitted by: GEMGLOW
IntroductionTasty dessert to use up fruit in your house... Tasty dessert to use up fruit in your house...
1 cup white flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
3 egg whites
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups strawberries sliced
8 tbsp whipped topping
2) whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1/4 cup of sugar in a bowl.
3) place egg whites and salt in bowl and mix with electric mixer on medium speed until the whites turn opaque.Increase sped to high.Continue beating adding the re Qing 1/4 cup of sugar until soft peaks form.
4) whisk the oil, milk, and vanilla into the flour mixture.dollop 1/3 of beaten eggs into batter and mix in GENTLY!add remaining whites and fold into batter.pour into cake pan and smooth the top.
5) bake 25 minutes or until top is browner and cake springs back when pressed.cool in pan on rack
6) meanwhile, combine strawberries and last 2 tbsp of sugar.refrigerate until serving.
7)cut cake into 8 wedges.cut wedges horizontally in half.place on plates.top "bottoms with 1/2 of strawberries.add tops of cake wedges.cover with rest of strawberries and tbsp of whip cream.
Serving Size: 8 slices
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user GEMGLOW.