vegetable lasagnaSubmitted by: CHRSTNE721
* 8 ounces dried lasagna noodles (9 or 10 noodles)
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 2 cups cream-style cottage cheese
* 1 15-ounce carton ricotta cheese
* 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
* 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
* 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1/2 to 1 teaspoon black pepper
* 1-1/4 cups milk
* 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and thoroughly drained
* 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and thoroughly drained
* 1 cup shredded carrot
* 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (3 ounces)
* 1 8-ounce package shredded mozzarella cheese (2 cups)
1. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl combine eggs, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet cook mushrooms, onion, and garlic in hot oil until tender. Stir in the flour and pepper; add milk all at once. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in the spinach, broccoli, carrot, and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
4. To assemble, in a greased 3-quart rectangular baking dish, layer one-third of the noodles, folding or cutting to fit, if necessary. Spread with one-third of the cottage cheese mixture, then one-third of the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with one-third of the mozzarella. Repeat the layers twice. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
6. Makes 12 servings
7. Quick Vegetable Lasagna: Substitute 6 ounces no-boil lasagna noodles (12) for the dried lasagna noodles. Increase milk to 2 cups and spread 1/2 cup of the vegetable mixture in the bottom of the dish before adding the first layer of noodles. Continue as directed above.
8. Make-ahead directions: Prepare as above through Step 4. Cover the unbaked lasagna with foil and chill for up to 48 hours. Bake, covered, in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 30 to 35 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Number of Servings: 12
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user CHRSTNE721.