- Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 327.5
- Total Fat: 24.7 g
- Cholesterol: 69.8 mg
- Sodium: 493.7 mg
- Total Carbs: 15.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 10.8 g
View full nutritional breakdown of Sirnica (Bosnian Cheese Pie) calories by ingredient
Sirnica (Bosnian Cheese Pie)Submitted by: ECHAMMOND
IntroductionSirnica is the traditional fast food in Bosnia, made of phyllo dough and feta Sirnica is the traditional fast food in Bosnia, made of phyllo dough and feta
Number of Servings: 8
1 package thawed phyllo pastry sheets
2 bags washed fresh spinach
1/4 cup sour cream (can use low fat)
1/2 lb feta cheese, crumbled
1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
low-fat plain yogurt (optional)
1. WASH HANDS (This recipe requires you to work with the food directly with your hands).
2. Preheat oven to 350.
3. Wash and drain spinach.
4. Chop spinach and put in a big glass bowl.
5. Add salt and mix with hands.
6. Leave the spinach to sit for about 10 minutes to allow the salt to draw out the water from the vegetable.
7. The water in spinach will make the filling bitter so do not skip this step.
8. Drain the spinach by either sqeezing it bit by bit with your hand over the sink or by spinning several times in a salad spinner.
9. Transfer drained spinach into a new bowl.
10. Add egg, and sour cream.
11. Fold in feta and cheddar cheese.
12. Put some olive oil in a small bowl.
13. Grease a 9"*13" glass or metal baking pan.
14. Take your phyllo dough sheets and lie the sheets, stacked, on a dry surface.
15. TIP: (While adding the filling, you may wish to cover the dough with a dry towel and then a damp one to keep it from drying out or flaking) Place one sheet of dough into the pan and cut away excess.
16. Brush with oil, using either your hands or a pastry brush.
17. Repeat until dough is 6 or 7 layers.
18. Add a skim of filling with hands and spread evenly.
19. Repeat steps 16-18 until the pie reaches the top of the pan or you run out of ingredients.
20. Just make sure you finish with the dough on top, sort of like lasagna.
21. Place pie in the oven, uncovered, about 45 minutes.
22. The top becomes flaky.
23. Pour on top of the pie while it is baking, 1/4 cup sour cream blended with 0.125 cup of milk.
24. Bake for 15 more minutes.
25. This dish can be served warm or room temperature.
26. It is traditionally served with a yogurt beverage which is easily replicated by mixing the plain yogurt with milk, in equal parts.
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user ECHAMMOND.