Basic risotto with mushroomsSubmitted by: PHRASER
2 cups arborio rice
5-6 cups of vegetable stock
2 TB dry sherry
2 tsp thyme
1 TB olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
300g mushrooms, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
2. Soften onion in oil until translucent
3. Add crushed garlic and mushrooms, cook over medium heat, stirring, until mushrooms give up their juice and are soft.
4. Add rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until rice is well coated.
5. Add thyme, then add stock gradually (1-2 ladlesful at a time), stirring constantly. Add more stock as previous lot is absorbed. Should take 10-15 minutes.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste, stir and serve.
This is a basic recipe. Use it as a side for another meal, or add things to jazz it up. Drained and rinsed cannelini beans, roasted garlic, diced roasted capsicum (bell pepper), baby spinach, etc all make good additions.
(non-vegan additions - diced feta or grated parmesan)
Best served as soon as it is cooked but can be refrigerated a few days. Freezing changes the texture.
Serving Size: Makes six servings of about 3/4 cup
Number of Servings: 6
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user PHRASER.