SnickerdoodlesSubmitted by: JWAGNER007
For the cookie dough:
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the coating:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2. Mix the butter, sugar and eggs in the large bowl at medium speed using your hand mixer.
3. Mix flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt in the smaller bowl.
4. Pour contents of small bowl into large bowl; mix well.
5. Roll the dough into the size of small walnuts. You can use a spoon to do this, or your hands, but if you choose to use your hands coat them with flour as the dough is very sticky. You can also cool the dough in the refrigerator for one hour so that it sticks to your hands less before doing this step.
6. Prepare the cinnamon and sugar mixture in a shallow dish by mixing both ingredients together using a spoon. Then roll each dough ball into the mixture, coating thoroughly.
7. Place cookies on an ungreased baking sheet, then bake in the oven for 6-10 minutes. Make sure you set your timer and keep an eye on them as these cookies burn very easily!
Your cookies should look golden brown and soft on the top when you pull them out of the oven. When cool, they will develop lightly-cracked surfaces. Enjoy them with a glass of milk for your children, or serve with coffee for your guests!
NOTE: This recipe has not been adjusted for high altitude. For instructions on how to do so, visit http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes2008/high-altitude-baking.html.
Serving Size: 2 cookies
Number of Servings: 19
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user JWAGNER007.