Cornbread PerfectionSubmitted by: KELLYHCWONG
1c. cornmeal [I like Bobís Red Mill medium ground]
3/4c. whole wheat pastry flour
1c. plain rice milk [or any milk, low-fat buttermilk, 1-2% milk, etc]
1c. defrosted corn, optional
1T baking powder
1/4c. ground flax meal [Bobís Red Mill makes this]
2T sucanat [or pure can sugar]
2. Combine egg, milk, and corn in a small bowl and whisk.
3. In a large bowl combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, flax, + sucanat. Stir well.
4. Place the butter in a 9Ē pan [can be cast iron, round cake pan, or pie dish].
5. Place in the oven to melt for ~5-7min. Make sure it doesnít burn.
6. After butter is in the oven, pour the wet into the dry. Stir until just combined. Let sit for 5min.
7. Take the pan with butter out of the oven and tilt pan to spread the butter around the bottom and sides.
8. Pour in batter and spread with spatula. It should be really thick and just need to be pushed around to the edges of the pan.
9. Bake for 20-25min.
Serving Size: Makes 12-16 servings
Number of Servings: 12
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user KELLYHCWONG.