This is a SparkPeople.com Recipe (what's this)
IntroductionNever tried beets? Now is your chance! Never tried beets? Now is your chance!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, shredded red beets
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large apple, grated
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok. Stir fry the onion and cabbage until they just start to get soft.
3. Add the beets and the apple/vinegar mixture, cooking it until the beets and apple are just hot (about 1 minute).
4. Cool in refrigerator overnight and serve cold, or serve hot right away.
5. You may substitute green cabbage for red cabbage. You may also substitute golden beets for red beets.
Reprinted with permission by Public Health – Seattle & King County