- Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 192.0
- Total Fat: 8.7 g
- Cholesterol: 56.7 mg
- Sodium: 88.4 mg
- Total Carbs: 3.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 23.4 g
Flank Steak with Mexican Spices Cooked in a Crock PotSubmitted by: LIMASTAR
IntroductionThis is a Flank Steak slow cooked in a Crock Pot or if no Crock Pot, can be slow cooked in the oven. You can eat as is after cooking or shred it and use as a topping on a large salad, which is what I do.
This is a Flank Steak slow cooked in a Crock Pot or if no Crock Pot, can be slow cooked in the oven. You can eat as is after cooking or shred it and use as a topping on a large salad, which is what I do.
2 lbs Flank Steak
3 Tbsp Oregano, Dried Mexican
1 Tbsp Cumin, Roasted & Ground
1 tsp Pepper, Ground Black
4 Cups Water
8 Cloves Garlic, mashed
1 Onion, Sweet (Medium, about 5.5 ozs.)
3 Bay Leaves, Whole
12 Peppercorns, Whole Black
2. Rub the Flank Steak with the spice mix.
3. Slice the Sweet Onion into slices and place on the bottom of the Crock Pot.
4. Place Flank Steak on top of Onions.
5. Add the Water, Bay Leaves, and Whole Peppercorns.
6. Cook on High for 3 to 4 Hours, or Low for 8 to 10 Hours.
7. Check for Tenderness. Cook longer if necessary, until Tender.
8. After it is Tender, cool for about 20 minutes.
9. Remove from Crock Pot.
10. Remove any visible Fat and Cut into about 4 Pieces across the Grain and then Shred with 2 Forks.
11. Place in a container with with the liquid that you cooked the Flank Steak in and cover until ready to serve.
I use this shredded Flank Steak on top of a Large Salad that I make using Shredded Romaine Lettuce, Sliced Tomatoes, Thinly Sliced Red Onion, 1 Bunch of Fresh Cilantro Leaves, coarsely Chopped, and some Avocado Slices.
I have also topped this salad with Roasted Veggies like Red & Yellow Bell Peppers, Asparagus, and Broccoli.
You can adjust the seasonings that the Flank Steak is cooked in according to your tastes.
Instead of just water you can use Beef Broth for half of the liquid for more added flavor.
Since my hubby has High Blood Pressure, I do not add Salt to my cooking and he did not notice that the Flank Steak was not salted.
Serving Size: 8 Servings about 4 ozs each
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user LIMASTAR.