Pasta With four CheesesSubmitted by: REVEBEV
IntroductionMedium low-fat, tasty recipe that can be fully vegetarian if you sub the chicken broth for vegetable broth. Medium low-fat, tasty recipe that can be fully vegetarian if you sub the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
2 tbsp margarine
6 tbsp gravy flour
1/2 tsp dry mustard
4 cups skim milk
1 cup chicken broth
2 tsp soya sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
pepper to taste
dash hot pepper sauce
1 cup coarsely chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup minced red or green pepper
1 cup frozen peas
1.5 boxes (375 g boxes) whole wheat elbow macaroni
1 cup low fat ricotta cheese
1/2 cup low fat cheddar cheese
1/2 cup low fat mozzarella cheese
4 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese (use the real thing... the hard stuff... or omit from the recipe)
4 tsp minced fresh basil
4 tsp minced fresh parsley
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1 cup low fat cheddar cheese
2. Meanwhile, start sauce. In a LARGE saucepan (it's got to hold 5 cups of liquid and a bunch of veggies) melt margarine. Stir in the flour and mustard. Cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk and stock to make a smooth liquid. Stir in soya sauce, Worcestershire, black pepper and hot-pepper sauce. Cook, whisking often, until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a frying pan, over medium heat, cook mushrooms, onions and peppers until limp. Fold into sauce. Fold peas into sauce.
4. Add pasta to sauce. Stir in ricotta, cheddar, mozzarella, Parmesan, basil and parsley.
5. Coat lasagna dishes with non-stick spray. Spoon pasta mixture into them. Sprinkle bread crumbs across tops of both dishes. Sprinkle a cup of shredded cheddar across both dishes.
6. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes, or until heated through and golden on top.
Serving Size: makes 1 big and 1 small lasagna dish... about 10 servings
Number of Servings: 10
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user REVEBEV.