Breakfast SconesSubmitted by: VEHAMILTON1
IntroductionServe with Creme Fraiche or Devonshire Cream, strawberry jam, and butter to spread.
Serve with Creme Fraiche or Devonshire Cream, strawberry jam, and butter to spread.
1 c Self Rising Flour
Salt to taste
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 Tbs Splenda
4 Tbls Butter or Butter Substitute
1 1/2 c 2% Milk
For Fruit Scones: Add 2 ozs of raisins, dried appricots or cranberries.
1. Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl and add the sugar and butter.
2. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
3. Mix together egg and milk.
4. Gradually mix in the egg and milk mixture to make a dough, saving any excess to glaze the tops of the scones. Add your fruit at this stage if using.
5. Gently knead the dough on a lightly floured work surface until smooth.
6. Roll out the dough to about 1/2" thick, then cut out 2" rounds with a plain or fluted cutter, kneading and re-rolling the dough until it is all used up.
7. Arrange scones on baking sheets then brush tops with the milk and egg mixture.
8. Bake in hot oven 10 to 15 minutes, until well risen and lightly golden.
8. Cool on a wire rack.
Split the scones and fill with butter, jam Creme Fraiche or Deveonshire Cream.
Serving Size: Makes 4 servings