- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 275.3
- Total Fat: 8.7 g
- Cholesterol: 10.1 mg
- Sodium: 391.7 mg
- Total Carbs: 38.2 g
- Dietary Fiber: 8.3 g
- Protein: 14.0 g
Stuffed Peppers Provence-StyleSubmitted by: BALLEWFAMILY12
4 medium bell peppers, any colors
1 navel orange
2 tsp olive oil
1¼ c finely chopped onion (1 large)
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp dried thyme
1¼ c no-salt-added small white beans, rinsed and drained
¼ c fresh bread crumbs
2 Tbsp slivered Niçoise olives, or other ripe olives
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp red-pepper flakes, extra for garnish
4 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese (such as Sargento), finely chopped
2. Cut the peppers in half from stem to bottom. Cut out and discard the ribs and seeds. Place the peppers, cut side down, in the dish. Cover with plastic wrap, leaving a vent for steam to escape. Microwave on high power for 5 minutes, or until hot and slightly softened.
3. Meanwhile, grate ½ tsp orange zest and set aside. Squeeze 4 Tbsp orange juice and set aside.
4. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and heat for 1 minute. Add the onion, garlic, and thyme. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until the onion starts to soften. Add the beans, orange juice, and zest. Partially cover the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the bread crumbs, olives, parsley, salt, and pepper flakes. Allow to cool, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
5. Turn the bell peppers cut side up in the baking dish. Add all but 2 Tbsp of the cheese to the bean mixture and stir. Fill the peppers with the bean mixture, pressing down slightly. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese. Cover loosely with a sheet of foil.
6. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving. Pass additional pepper flakes at the table.
Serving Size: 4 servings
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user BALLEWFAMILY12.