Cashew Pot PieSubmitted by: ANTIOCHIA
IntroductionGood served with applesauce. Good served with applesauce.
1 cup diced raw peeled potato
1 cup water
1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon Mushroom base (or use vegetable bouillon flavoring)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup frozen peas & carrots
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup sliced raw mushrooms
1/3 cup raw cashews
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup roasted Cashew pieces
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Pastry for double-crust 9" pie
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Place potatoes, onions, garlic and water in a sauce pan. Cover and bring to a boil. Stir in the mushroom base. Simmer until potatoes are just done -- about 15 minutes. Add the celery, peas & carrots, and sliced mushrooms. Bring to a boil again, simmer for a minute or two until the mushrooms are cooked. Remove from heat.
3. Place a sieve over a bowl and drain the vegetables, reserving the liquid. Make sure you have at least 1 cup of liquid -- if not add a little water -- if too much just measure out 1 cup to use.
4. Put the cup of liquid in a blender with the raw cashews, flour, and Worcestershire sauce. Blend until smooth. Pour into a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thick.
5. Mix the vegetables and the cup of roasted cashews together in a bowl. Add the cooked sauce, marjoram, salt, pepper, and mix gently.
6. Line a pie pan (I prefer pyrex) with one of the pie crusts. Fill with the warm cashew - vegetable - sauce mixture. Cover with the top crust. Press edges together and flute. Make several slits in center of top crust to let steam escape.
7. Place in the 425 oven and bake for 15 minutes. Turn heat down to 350 and bake for 30 more minutes or until done.
8. To serve cut into 8 wedges. Serves 8 (although guys may prefer to eat 2 pieces).
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user ANTIOCHIA.