- Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 351.4
- Total Fat: 11.7 g
- Cholesterol: 66.7 mg
- Sodium: 722.6 mg
- Total Carbs: 27.0 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 32.6 g
Crispy Chicken Parmesan (3oz breast)Submitted by: CRYSMYS
Introductionfrom Americas Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook (Chicken Parmesan) from Americas Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook (Chicken Parmesan)
1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 ounce grated Parmesan cheese (about 1/2 cup), plus extra for serving
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
3 large egg whites
1 tablespoon water
6 4-oz chicken cutlets
2 cups tomato sauce , warmed (see below)
3 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 3/4 cup)
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
Simple Tomato Sauce:
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
4 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 4 teaspoons)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil leaves
1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat to 475 degrees. Combine the panko and oil in a 12" skillet and toast over medium heat, stirring often, until golden, 10-12 minutes.
2. Transfer the crumbs to a shallow dish, let cool, then stir in the Parmesan. Combine the flour and garlic powder in a second shallow dish. in a third shallow dish, whisk the egg whites and water together.
3. Spray a wire rack with vegetable oil spray and place over a rimmed baking sheet. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Working with one piece of chicken at a time, dredge liberally and evenly in the flour, spanking off the excess to leave only the barest film. Then, use tongs to dip into the egg whites, being sure to coat completely before letting the excess drip off, then toss in the toasted crumbs, pressing on them to adhere. Lay the breaded chicken on the prepared wire rack.
4. Spray the tops of the chicken lightly with vegetable oil spray. Bake until the chicken registers 150-160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, 8-10 minutes.
5. Top each cutlet with 2 tablespoons of the sauce and 2 tablespoons of the mozzarella. Continue to bake until the cheese has melted and the chicken registers 160-165 degrees, 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with the basil and serve, passing the remaining sauce separately.
For Simple Tomato Sauce:
Pulse the tomatoes in a food processor until mostly smooth, about ten 1-second pulses; set aside. Cook the garlic, tomato paste, oil, and pepper flakes in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the tomato paste begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in the pureed tomatoes and cook until the sauce is thickened and measures 2 cups, about 20 minutes. Off the heat, stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and set aside until needed.
To Make Ahead:
The chicken can be prepared through Step 3, covered loosely with plastic wrap, and refrigerated for up to 4 hours. Bake as directed, increasing the cooking time in step 4 to 10-12 minutes.