Tasty Turkey Pot PieSubmitted by: ANNEDGR
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped carrots
10 oz. canned mushrooms
2 1/2 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
1/4 cup corn starch
10 oz. cooked, shredded turkey
1 cup peas
2 cups diced red potatoes, peeled
1/4 cup reduced fat Sour Cream
*season as desired
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp. sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp thyme
1 1/2 tbsp cold margarine (or low fat Smart Option, Country Crock, etc butter)
1 cup Almond milk
1. While cooking chopped turkey over medium heat, chop all other ingredients, keep separate on a plate or small dishes. Peel and chop potatoes, bring to a boil in a separate pot.
2. Heat 1 tsp oil, or spray cooking pan with light butter/vegetable oil, your preference. Turn on med-hi heat. Add onions and carrots. Cook 7 minutes. Remove to bowl.
3. Add mushrooms to cooking pan. Cook 7 minutes, or until juice is released. Return onion and carrots to pan. Keep an eye on the turkey. You should be able to shred it and set it aside at this time.
4. Add 2 cups of broth to the onion/carrot/mushroom mix. Bring to boil and then turn to simmer.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk cornstarch with remaining 1/2 cup of broth. Add to simmering pan. Stir, it will start to thicken.
6. Add in turkey, peas, potatoes, sour cream and season as desired with pepper and salt. Put into 9 x 13 pan, spread evenly.
7. For the topping. Preheat oven to 400F. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, salt and thyme into a large bowl. Using 2 knives, cut in the margarine until the dough is crumbly.
8. Add almond milk. Dough should be a pourable/spreadable consistency. If not, add a little more milk. Then pour and spread this over the filling. It will be a light and thin covering, you may not cover all of the filling. This is OK!
9. Set baking dish on pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until dough is light brown and flaky, and the filling can be seen boiling through the pan glass. Let cool for 20-30 minutes.
*You may also freeze for later! I like to make this on a Sunday evening along with a bunch of other dishes so I can pop it in the oven and go for a quick jog.
Serving Size: Makes 8 servings in 9x13 pan