Coconut MacaroonsSubmitted by: TABBYKAT75
IntroductionSimple but richly flavored cinnamon macaroons, with the sweet tropical aroma of coconut and vanilla, make a dainty, nut-filled teatime treat. Simple but richly flavored cinnamon macaroons, with the sweet tropical aroma of coconut and vanilla, make a dainty, nut-filled teatime treat.
5 1/4 ounces (3/4 of a 7-ounce package) sweetened shredded coconut
6 tablespoons chopped nuts (such as almonds, hazelnuts or pecans)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
2/3 cup sugar, divided
2. Combine coconut, chopped nuts, cinnamon, and vanilla together in a medium bowl and stir well; set aside.
3. Place egg whites and salt in a small mixer bowl and beat on medium speed to soft peaks. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar over egg whites and continue beating until peaks are glossy.
4. Gently sprinkle remaining sugar over beaten egg whites and carefully fold in using a rubber spatula, then gently fold in coconut mixture.
5. Drop the batter by teaspoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets, about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
6. If baked on rice paper, allow macaroons to cool completely on cookie sheets, then remove and peel away the excess paper from each one. If using parchment paper, cool 2 to 3 minutes on cookie sheets to firm up, then carefully remove cookies from the paper with a spatula, transfer to a wire rack, and cool completely
If you'd like to make the macaroons in advance for a special occasion, cool completely and store in an airtight container up to 3 days.
Per macaroon: Calories 95, fat 6 g, saturated fat 3 g, cholesterol 0 mg, sodium 30 mg, carbohydrate 10 g, fiber 1 g, protein 2 g.
Number of Servings: 1
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user TABBYKAT75.