Lumberjack CakeSubmitted by: PHRASER
IntroductionThis is a veganised recipe. I haven't tried the vegan version as a cake yet, but have made it as muffins. Topping is not included in the nutrition information at the moment.
185 calories per muffin or 1/12 of cake without topping, 265 with. This is a veganised recipe. I haven't tried the vegan version as a cake yet, but have made it as muffins. Topping is not included in the nutrition information at the moment.
185 calories per muffin or 1/12 of cake without topping, 265 with.
125g olivani lite margerine (extra for greasing tin if required)
2 medium granny smith apples
185g pitted dried dates
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 cup boiling water
1 cup splenda (or your preferred granular sweetner)
1 flax egg (3 tsp flaxseeds, ground and mixed into 9 tsp water and allowed to gel)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
Topping (NB NOT IN NUTRITION INFORMATION):
1/2 cup brown sugar
60g olivani lite margerine
1/3 cup lite soy milk
60g shredded coconut
2. Peel, core and cut apples into small pieces (or grate half and finely dice the other half). Chop dates and mix with apples and bicarbonate. Pour boiling water over the top and leave until lukewarm.
3. Cream margerine and sugar in an electric mixer until fluffy. Add flax-egg and vanilla and beat well.
4. Sift flour and salt into creamed mixture, alternately folding in the apple mixture.
5. Pour into tin and bake for one hour (cake) or into lined muffin tin (fill cups almost to the top - they don't rise much) and bake for 30-35 minutes or until cooked (brown on top and tests clean with skewer)
6. For topping (if using), mix sugar with margerine, soy milk and coconut in a small saucepan over a low heat. Spread over cooked cake/muffins. Return cake to oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes until topping is golden brown and crunchy.
Serving Size: Makes 1 cake, or 12 half-cup muffins