Pescatarian PaellaSubmitted by: SAUMON
IntroductionMost paella calls for chorizo or Italian sausage. This recipe uses a 'Tofurky' brand sausage. I used Kielbasa but their Italian would have been more appropriate. Nutritional info is about the same so go ahead and substitute at will! Most paella calls for chorizo or Italian sausage. This recipe uses a 'Tofurky' brand sausage. I used Kielbasa but their Italian would have been more appropriate. Nutritional info is about the same so go ahead and substitute at will!
3/4 cup dry Basmati Rice
1.5 cups Vegetable broth
Veggies: a couple large mushrooms, 2 italian tomatoes, an onion, a clove of garlic
One Tofurky sausage (Kielbasa or Italian)
1 1tsp Olive Oil
0.25 cup frozen or fresh green peas
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
200 g(7 oz) or half a pack of frozen seafood medley
1/2 tsp lite table salt if desired
Other seasonings: thyme, saffron (optional), black pepper, Cayenne or chili pepper for extra heat.
1. Sauté the sausage in a small amount of oil (.5 tsp) to brown it. Set aside and slice when it is cool enough.
2. Insame pan, sauté lightly the seafood, but do not over cook. Add a bit of lemon juice to deglaze the pan. Remove and set aside.
3. Add another 0.5 tsp olive oil and sautée the chopped onions, minced garlic, and diced tomatoes until the onions are translucent.
4. Add the rice and pour the vegetable broth over the veggie and rice mix. Bring to boil, cover and reduce to simmer until rice is done and liquid is absorbed. Add water if needed. (15 minutes or so)
-- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F --
5. Stir in seafood, seasonings and peas. Tuck in sliced sausage (distribute evenly). Cover and put in preheated oven (350 degrees F) for 20-30 minutes. This is just to blend the flavours and heat everything through. Make sure that your rice is not too dry before you put the pan in the oven; if it is, add some broth, tomato juice, water and maybe a dash of lemon juice or even white wine.
Serving Size: Makes 4 generous portions
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user SAUMON.